Every year, students in year nine choose the subjects that they wish to study for their GCSEs.
All students will take GCSEs courses in Maths, English Language, English Literature, French, Science and Religious Studies. All students must study a GCSE in either History or Geography (some students may choose to study both). Students then choose additional GCSEs in Business Studied, Drama, Design Technology, Art, Photography, Media Studies, Physical Education. Exceptional scientists may be entered for Biology, Chemistry and Physics instead of Combined Science.
Important Dates for Choices
- Year 9 Options Assembly (only for students).
- The Year 9 course choices booklet is given to students.
- Year 9 Parents’ Evening where parents can discuss progress across the curriculum with their child’s teacher.
- Year 9 Curriculum Evening. This is an opportunity for the students and their family to discuss the content of the GCSE course they may choose.
- GCSE Taster lessons are offered to the students in all subjects, especially those that have not been studied at Key Stage Three.
- All students have an Options Meeting with a member of the Senior Leadership Team, where they can discuss why they have chosen their option and discuss how their choices are linked to any future study or career plans that they have. These are usually held during the school day, but appointments can be made in the evening should parents wish to attend.
- Students return their form for choices.
April – June
- During April, May and June we will consider the choices that your child has made and make the final decisions about which subjects they will study in Year 10 and Year 11.
- Parents and students will be informed of option choices