Curriculum Policy Statement
The Physical Education curriculum aims to produce an enjoyable and satisfying programme with opportunities for every student to realise their potential physically, emotionally and cognitively. It offers a comprehensive range of learning experiences to meet the needs of individual students and encourages active involvement by all as performers, observers and officials.
Structured units of work provide for progression and aim to foster student’s self-esteem by encouraging them to discover and develop their physical competence. The sympathetic selection of learning experiences appropriate to student’s experience, ability and maturity, aims to support all students and promote those skills necessary to effectively plan and evaluate performance, safely with confidence displaying high standards of behaviour.
The development of consideration towards others, a sense of fair play and good sporting behaviour are considered essential elements of the learning process. Through active participation in a variety of roles, students will be encouraged to appreciate their own and others strengths and weaknesses, and respond appropriately to the needs of others.
It is intended that the programme offered will develop student’s abilities to contribute to their community through participation in extra-curricular activities. An awareness of leisure opportunities within the community will develop those skills and attitudes conducive to involvement in an active and healthy lifestyle.
A physically Educated Person
A physically educated person
HAS learned the skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities,
IS physically fit,
DOES participate regularly in physical activity,
KNOWS the implications of and the benefits from involvement in physical activities,
VALUES physical activity and its contributions to a healthy lifestyle.
The Aims of Physical Education
- To enable students to develop positive attitudes towards physical activity.
- To enable students to develop an awareness of their strengths and weaknesses.
- To enable students to develop an awareness of the relationship between physical and mental health.
- To enable students to experience fun and enjoyment through a wide range of physical activities.
- To enable students to develop an awareness of the importance of an active and healthy lifestyle.
- To provide opportunities for students to realise their full potential in the area of skill acquisition.
- To offer stimulating academic courses of study leading to nationally recognised qualifications.